What I Eat

eat-real-foodIn short, my focus is on foods that God made. While I am inspired by philosophies like Paleo, Primal, and the Weston A. Price Foundation, I do not follow any of them exclusively. What I like about these approaches is that they concentrate on a nutrient dense, whole foods diet. My goal is to eat more foods from nature, and less food from a factory. I avoid a can or cannot have mindset around food and, instead, actively seek out nutrients that help my body to function optimally. I do my best to avoid processed, nutritionally devoid foods. I try to pair common sense with my nutritional education and let that guide my daily choices. Common sense tells me that if I pretty much stick to the food that God made for us to eat, my body will get what it needs.

For me, eating looks like this:

MOSTLY: eggs, grass-fed beef, seafood, vegetables, fruit, avocadoIMG_4863

SOME OF THIS: grass-fed butter, extra-virgin olive oil, coconut milk/oil/flour, wine, nuts and seeds (including nut butters), sausage and bacon (from good sources),  honey and maple syrup.IMG_5314-e1435449253550

A LITTLE BIT OF THIS: cheese, non-GMO tortilla chips and corn tortillas, rice, grass-fed yogurt, chocolate and other sweets.
enjoy-life-chocolate
NEVER:  Unhealthy oils or gluten. Gluten makes my digestive system go beserk and it’s just not worth it. The few times I’ve strayed (I’m looking at you pizza!) I have paid for it with a digestive, skin and sinus rebellion. No thanks. I can always find a gluten-free version if I’m monster craving something. BUT, and this is important, I am gluten-free but eat very few “gluten-free” labeled foods. Exchanging a regular pizza crust for a gluten-free pizza crust does not make it more nutritious. There are not healthful “nutrients” in most packaged gluten-free foods.
no oils

So, that gives you a pretty good idea of what I eat. I never feel deprived. I always make my food taste good (thank you butter!). If I want a cookie, I make them from quality ingredients instead of buying the cheap, processed kind (adios Oreos!). Do I eat healthfully ALL the time? Of course not. I’m human. And a mom (who needs wine). But I’m seeking those nutrients most of the time, and that’s what’s important.

To see a list of my Top 10 Pantry Items click here.

6 Comments

• Crust Posted October 23, 2013 2:14 pm

I used FWB Monday while at lunch with Kim. Crediting your genius of course! LOVE!

• Chelsea Posted October 28, 2013 5:49 am

The credit actually goes to Candice Kumai, the “Stiletto Chef.” She referenced FWB in a magazine article I read in Shape Magazine, and, I thought, BRILLIANT!

• Ali Elle Morris Posted April 4, 2014 10:23 am

I feel the same about my diet – I don’t like to stick to restrictive diets, instead preferring to eat what my body needs, while trying to steer away from things it doesn’t. I’m loving your site, well done, it’s wicked. Everything is presented in ways everyone can relate to, and I for one, am looking forward to reading more.

• Chelsea Posted April 6, 2014 8:12 am

Wow, Ali, thanks for your kind comments! That’s my goal – to get info out there that makes sense to people. I’ve got a thousand ideas to post, but have all these little people to take care of over here and don’t get to post near as often as I’d like. 🙂 It’s all about balance, right? Just like with diet. So happy you’re out there reading and took the time to comment. Cheers to good health! 🙂

• kara Posted February 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi Chelsea I was reading your post on what you eat. You said you avoid grains because they cause your digestive system a lot of upset. I have noticed on days when I eat more rice, pasta, and other grains and sometimes with potatoes I feel more bloated and usually lasts til the end of the day. I also experience alot of gas, ( sorry tmi) could this be a sensitivity to gluten or too many carbs?

• Chelsea Posted February 11, 2016 6:33 am

Hi Kara! It’s never TMI for me. 😉
      It could be either. Or it could be you are getting too many carbs in one day and just overloading your system. The best thing to do is a keep a food journal for a few days. Write down everything you eat and how it’s making you feel. That can really help you pinpoint the culprit. I’m going to email you a food journal template you can use. Hope that helps!